DECEMBER 29, 2023 | 8:00AM - 3:00PM
Cycles for Phonology
Cycles for Phonology focuses on patterns instead of individual sounds resulting in efficient generalization of targets, drastically reducing therapy time for children with phonological delays. The instructor takes the participants through an overview of delivery and scoring of the HAPP-3 and provides strategies to use in therapy sessions tomorrow.
AGENDA 8:00AM to 3:00PM
- Overview of Cycles: Targeting Patterns vs. Individual Phonemes 25 minutes
- Difference between Phonology/Apraxia and Traditional Articulation Therapy; Norms 20 minutes
- Review Hodson’s Assessment of Phonological Processes-3 (HAPP-3) Forms 30 minutes
- Scoring of HAPP-3 Sample Transcript 60 minutes
- Determination of Targets and Cycles Defined 40 minutes
- Design your FIRST Cycle using the Cycles Guidelines and Organizational Chart 60 minutes
- Review Cycles Guidelines and Organizational Chart to Develop Cycle 1 40 minutes
- Cycle 2 Development and Considerations 30 minutes
- Review Four Cycles of Sample Transcript 30 minutes
- Wrap Up, Tips, & Review of Do's, Don'ts, and In-Betweens 25 minutes
- Explain the difference between Cycles for Phonology and Traditional Articulation approaches.
- Describe and list the primary patterns targeted in the Cycles Approach.
- List and explain why secondary patterns are not typically targeted in the Cycles Approach.
- Complete and score the Hodson Assessment of Phonological Processes-3 (HAPP-3).
a Cycle based on the primary patterns using the HAPP-3 and the Cycles
Guidelines and Organizational Chart.
Content Disclosure: This course focuses on Cycles for Phonology and other or similar programs will not be discussed.
This course is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs
(Intermediate Level, Professional Area)
In order to successfully complete the course, participants will be required to attend the entire course AND complete the following:
- Course Survey on Survey Monkey.
- Knowledge Quiz: Multiple choice 10-questions quiz with a passing grade of 80% or higher.
Here's what past attendees are saying
The information was presented well. It was clear, concise and easy to follow. The presenter provided excellent examples and an opportunity for hands on learning. I enjoyed the e-learing format because it allowed me to focus on the material and tackle it at my own pace.
"I love how all the information we needed was provided and we did not have to take notes!! It allowed me to be more attentive to the presentation.
The seminar and presentation style was perfect. Everything was presented in a way I would understand!
More Past Attendees feedback
Benefits of our training programs
Engaging Presentation Style:
Dr. Moore's presentation style - engaging, interesting, informative, and supportive.
Helpful and Time-Worthy Content:
I liked it all, found it very helpful and I feel like it's something I had been wanting to learn about for a long time but felt like I didn't have the time to. This was a great presentation, I learned a lot!
New Assessment and Process Demonstrations:
I enjoyed being shown a new assessment and exactly how it works/you score it as well as the flow chart to help choose targets for cycles!
Engaging and Well-Paced:
Presenter was very engaging and kept a good pace with excellent visuals.
I liked the video demonstrations, as they demonstrated how to use this approach.
Detailed Sessions and Case Studies:
The "Quick Reviews" were helpful. The case study was excellent, starting with the assessment and ending with therapy targets and the complete session breakdown.
and more feedback...
- Dr. Moore's presentation style - engaging, interesting, informative, and supportive.
- I liked it all, found it very helpful and I feel like it's something I had been wanting to learn about for a long time but felt like I didn't have the time to. This was a great presentation, I learned a lot!
- I enjoyed being shown a new assessment and exactly how it works/you score it as well as the flow chart to help choose targets for cycles!
- Presenter was very engaging and kept a good pace with excellent visuals.
- Interactive scoring of assessment
- I liked the video demonstrations, as they demonstrated how to use this approach.
- The step-by-step creation of a cycle via a case study.
- I really enjoyed learning about the variety of phonological processes and how to move through the cycles approach effectively.
- Going through the HAPP-3 together
- Scoring and then discussion/flow chart of identifying cycles
- The "Quick Reviews" were helpful. The case study was excellent, starting with the assessment and ending with therapy targets and the complete session breakdown.
- Working through the assessment together. It was refreshing to spend some time on clinical matters today. Thank you!
- I liked that the speaker was very specific in her description of how the therapy is presented and reinforced important points.
- I appreciated how Dr. Moore gave excellent examples and gave realistic suggestions for our population and environment.
- The Handouts are very comprehensive and easy to understand. They will be a good reference in the future.
- Loved that it was interactive and allowed for questions.
- The materials that I can use tomorrow to implement these techniques (step by step) and video examples.
- Loved the whole thing! The handouts, the explanation, personality! Fantastic.
- Dr. Moore was very personable and kept the presentation relatable and engaging as a result!
- I liked learning about the stimulability table for the baseline.
- The step by step handouts and the in depth handouts so I didn't have to take a bunch of notes
- The videos were helpful, along with the tracking sheets and the way the technique is spelled out on the handouts for future reference.
- Dr. Moore's presentation style is very easy to follow and kept me engaged. The videos and examples were great. I really liked the questions used to check for understanding.
- Reminding myself of all the cool patterns and phonological processes, and seeing how a systematic approach can be a great way to deal with multiple errors.
Financial and Nonfinancial Disclosures
Dawn Moore is the owner and founder of Expressions Speech, Language, and Myofunctional Center and Expressions Seminars.
- Ownership interests in Expressions Speech, Language, and Myofunctional Center and Expressions Seminars.
- Receives compensation from materials sold on website store at www.expressionsspeech.com
- Receives compensation from online seminars sold on seminar website: www.expressionsseminars.com
- Receives compensation from materials sold on Expressions Speech store on TeachersPayTeachers.com.
The Fine Print
For Participants Prior to 10 days preceding course: Participant can apply registration to a future course or online offering or the participant can request a refund of the registration less $75 fee which covers cost of administrative work.
Any cancellation within 10 calendar days of the course will credited for a future course or Expressions Seminar online offering.
Cancellation Policy for Expressions Seminars
If Expressions Seminars has to cancel the course due to inclement weather, illness, or family emergency, all participants will be notified via email used to register for the course and a future date will be selected.
If a participant cannot attend the new date, they will have the following options:
- Watch the on-demand version of the course (if there is one available) and have access for ONE WEEK.
- Accept a credit for a future seminar either online or in-person.
- Request a refund of registration fee.